Tampa, FL - With Tropical Storm Idalia edging closer to the gulf coast of Florida, colleges and universities across Tampa Bay are closely tracking its progress and enacting necessary precautions.
Here's a comprehensive update on the measures adopted by various institutions:
- University of South Florida (USF): USF has made the decision to cancel all classes scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday. Additionally, all campuses will be closed during this period. The university is taking steps to evacuate three residence halls on its St. Petersburg campus, relocating the affected students to the Tampa campus where dormitories remain operational. St. Petersburg students are required to vacate the campus by 8 a.m. on Tuesday. The institution is aiming to resume normal operations on Thursday, with a definitive decision on reopening scheduled to be announced on Wednesday. Notably, USF Health clinical facilities will remain closed on Wednesday and are anticipated to reopen on Thursday.
- University of Tampa: At the University of Tampa, both classes and campus activities have been canceled for Tuesday and Wednesday. The university foresees a return to regular activities by Thursday and will keep students and staff informed through updates posted to its website.
- Hillsborough Community College (HCC): HCC will observe closures on both Tuesday and Wednesday. For further information and updates, refer to the college's dedicated storm information page.
- St. Petersburg College: All campuses under the umbrella of St. Petersburg College will remain closed, and classes are canceled for Tuesday and Wednesday. The institution says any decisions regarding Thursday and Friday will hinge on any potential impacts to the region and will be communicated in the days to come.
- Pasco-Hernando State College: Classes, both in-person and remote, after 5 p.m. on Monday are canceled. Classes on Tuesday through Wednesday are also canceled, with a planned resumption on Thursday. In-person campus services are also suspended during this period and will recommence on Thursday.
- Eckerd College: Eckerd College closed its waterfront campus at 7 p.m. on Monday. Resident hall occupants were expected to vacate their premises by 5 p.m. Student inquiries regarding travel arrangements can be directed to the student affairs office. Contact details include 727-864-8421 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saint Leo University: As of 5 p.m. Monday, Saint Leo University canceled classes and closed campuses through Wednesday. This directive affects the main university campus, the center for adult learning at University Campus, the Tampa Education Center, and the MacDill Education Office. Online classes have also been suspended through Wednesday, with updates to assignments and deadlines expected post-storm.
- Stetson University College of Law: Stetson University's Gulfport campus and Tampa Law Center are closed from noon on Monday and are set to remain closed through Wednesday. Residents are instructed to evacuate by 10 a.m. on Tuesday. Those seeking updates are advised to consult the college's website.
Nova Southeastern University (Tampa Regional Campus): All classes and regularly scheduled events for students, faculty, and staff were canceled from 5 p.m. on Monday. The university stated that the campus will remain closed until officials determine it is safe to reopen. Online students should contact their program directors for additional information. Visit the school's weather information page for ongoing updates.